Blog

Beware of These Pet Toxins Already in Your Home

No matter how conscious you are of your pet’s safety, it’s likely that you already have a few potential toxins in your home. It’s almost unavoidable! Fortunately, a few simple precautions are all that it takes to keep your animal companion safe. Learn more below from a London, ON vet.

Poisonous Plant Life

There are all kinds of plants and flowers that pets shouldn’t eat. The list includes dieffenbachia, elephant ear, ivy, oleander, lilies, aloe plants, daffodils, tulips, Autumn crocus, rhododendron (also called azalea), philodendron, poinsettia plants, and much more. Consult your veterinarian to find out what kind of toxic plants and flowers are most common in your area, and remove them from your home, garden, or landscaping right away.

Toxic Human Foods

It’s fun to feed your pet a table scrap now and then, but make sure you’re not giving your companion something harmful. Toxic human foods for pets include onions, garlic, chives, scallions, shallots, leeks, grapes, raisins, chocolate, candy, gum, salty items, fatty or buttery foods, and alcohol, among many others. Don’t give your pet bones, whether they’re cooked or raw, as they can splinter apart into sharp shards while your pet chews them.

Cleaning Supplies

Take care not to let your pet have access to any cleaning supplies; almost all household cleaning products could poison a pet who ingests enough! Move your pet to another room if you’re using strong chemicals that give off fumes, and store chemicals carefully on high shelves so that pets can’t reach them.

Medication

A variety of human medicines—and even some that can be prescribed to pets—can cause poisoning if a pet manages to swallow them in toxic doses. Antidepressants, cough syrup, painkillers, and all sorts of prescription drugs pose a threat. NSAIDs, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, are a particular danger and can cause stomach ulcers and severe kidney damage if enough are accidentally ingested. Keep all medicines out of your pet’s reach!

Pesticide Products

If you use pesticide or rodenticide products in your home to ward off insect or rodent intruders, use caution—these substances are designed to kill what comes into contact with them! Place pesticides carefully where pets don’t have access, and try using non-toxic pest control methods if your pet is the curious type.

To learn more about pet toxins you already have at home, contact your London, ON veterinary clinic today. We’re here for you!

Comments are closed.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login