Skip to main content

Top Summer Safety Tips for Pets Around London and River Bend

By August 11, 2021 September 11th, 2022 No Comments

As we all know, summer’s a great time to get outside and enjoy the warm weather with our pets, but we want to do it as safely as possible. Here are 6 important tips to help keep the summer fun for you and your pet.

  1. Watch Out for Water Hazards

Blue-green algae can pose a life-threatening hazard to dogs and cats in warm weather. These bacteria bloom in the summer and early fall in standing fresh, salt, or brackish water such as lakes, ponds, backyard pools, and fountains, as well as stagnant areas of streams.

Blue-green algae often looks like a slimy film, “pond scum,” or green paint spilled on the surface of the water and can also appear bluish, brown, or even red. Sometimes the blooms lurk under the water’s surface, which makes them particularly dangerous because they can’t be seen. Wind may also blow the blooms into concentrated areas near shorelines.

Pets are at risk for blue-green algae poisoning if they consume, play in, or swim in water contaminated with the algae. Signs of blue-green algae ingestion may include:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion/disorientation
  • Excessive salivation
  • Trouble breathing
  • Liver failure
  • Paralysis
  • Seizures

Ingestion of even small amounts of toxic blue-green algae is often fatal.

If your pet has come in contact with blue-green algae, rinse them off with fresh water right away. If you suspect your pet has licked off or otherwise ingested any algae, call us immediately!

Not only can drinking water from sources such as ponds put pets at risk for blue-green algae ingestion, but drinking or accidentally ingesting too much of any water quickly, such as when repeatedly jumping into lakes after a toy, can throw off their electrolyte balance and be fatal (a condition called water intoxication or water poisoning). Signs of water intoxication include:

  • Bloating
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Staggering or stumbling

Call us if your pet has consumed a large amount of water in a short amount of time or is showing signs of water intoxication.

Always carry fresh water for your pet so they won’t be as tempted to drink from lakes and streams.

  1. Be Aware of Toxic Plants

Certain plants pose a risk to pets as well. Some may only cause GI issues, but others can be life-threatening. Plants to keep your pet away from include:

  • Rhubarb (leaves)
  • Tomato (the plants and unripe fruit, or green tomatoes)
  • Onions, garlic, and chives
  • Potato (both the leaves and raw potatoes)
  • Lilies (many varieties are extremely toxic to cats)
  • Sago palm (very deadly for dogs)

For more information on toxic plants, please give us a call or consult these sites:

  1. Keep Your Pet Away From Other Toxins

Several kinds of poisons can spell trouble for pets if they get into them:

  • Fertilizers and pesticides, for instance, often cause relatively mild gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea, but can be more problematic if large amounts are consumed or if they contain iron or other worrisome ingredients.
  • Mulch can cause a blockage inside a pet’s GI system, and cocoa bean mulch can potentially cause vomiting, diarrhea, and muscle tremors if the product contains enough theobromine and caffeine (the same chemicals in chocolate that are toxic to pets) or if a pet eats a large amount.
  • Bait, even in small amounts, can cause tremors, seizures, cardiovascular and respiratory problems, and other serious signs. Depending on the kind of bait, ingestion by a pet can be deadly.
  • Most herbicides tend to be less of a concern, as long as the product is applied correctly and pets are kept off the yard or other treated area until the product dries completely. Follow label instructions, and be sure to dilute any runoff.

Keep the following products well out of reach or ideally locked away from pets, and keep pets away from areas where the products are being used: pesticides, rodenticides like mole and gopher bait, snail and slug bait, mulch, herbicides, and fertilizers that contain iron or bone, blood, or feather meal. Even products that are less toxic to pets can cause serious symptoms if a pet consumes a lot at one time. Close and properly dispose of used containers.

If you have a free-roaming cat, consider using pet-safe alternatives where possible or removing weeds by hand rather than using herbicides, for instance.

Call us right away if you think your pet has consumed something toxic. During off-hours, you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 or Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 (a fee may be charged).

  1. Watch Your Pet at Picnics

Attending a cookout or picnic with your 4-legged friend can be fun, but it can quickly turn into an emergency if your pet consumes any food that can be dangerous, like corn cobs, avocado pits, whole stone fruits like peaches and cherries, watermelon (rinds and seeds), meat with bones, food on skewers, onions, grapes, or raisins. Keep your pet away from the food, especially if you know he or she tends to eat food off the ground or sneak treats from tables.

If you have questions about keeping your pet safe this summer, give us a call!

  1. Beat the Heat

On days that are hot and sunny, sidewalks and pavement can burn your pet’s paw pads. If you can’t leave your hand or foot on a surface for 5 to 10 seconds, then your pet’s paws can’t take the heat either. Consider outfitting your pet with booties if you’re going to be some place where you won’t be able to stay on the grass or in the shade.

Heatstroke, or elevated core body temperature, can be deadly in pets, especially if not treated quickly. Look for more info and advice on preventing heatstroke in your pet in one of our upcoming blog articles.

  1. Protect Your Pet Against Parasites

Heartworms, ticks, and fleas are all a threat in London, River Bend, and throughout Ontario. Make sure your pet is protected! Call us today to refill your pet’s parasite preventives.

Leave a Reply